Last year the Full Face Snorkling Mask appeared like Mushrooms in the woods. I have been asked a couple times if this Fullface Mask is capable for Spearfishing or Apnea (Apnoe) Freediving or Diving. This review is about a new 2019 version, which has been improved in terms of visibility and Anti fog. So i want to share my experience with you.
Pros of the Fullface Snorkelmask
First lets come to the Pro Section of the Fullface Snorkelmask:
- Breathing through your mouth is much easier then to a snorkel, it does not take any training – Snorkling beginner can start right of
- The snorkel is always dry due to the build in Water/ Air pistons, it does not require to blow out the water like an old fashioned snorkel
- The sight is very good, due to the full face field of view
- It has a builded in Anti- Fog system, so a good mask wont fog through the inner air circulation
If you just want to go snorkeling I can recommend you the Mask, if you want to dive please read further.
Contras of the Full Face Snorkling Mask
Ok lets come to the contra points and explain why Full Face Snorkelmasks are not suitable for Apnea Diving, Freediving, Spearfishing or general diving.
- Full-face Snorkelingmasks simply does not access your nose so you are not able to do a pressure equalization. The pressure rises as you dive down and presses on your tympanon. No pressure equalization no deeper dive then 1 meter. Period.
- The high inner volume leads to two problems: as you dive down, the mask will be pushed towards your face and second the mask will do a big impact on your buoyancy. It creates a positive uplift. This we want to avoid normally.
- A bigger inner volume inside the mask means a larger volume which can accumulates Carbondioxid (CO2). This will negativly impact your diving time and shorten your time until the contractions hits in. Thats the dangerous side of the mask.
- The mask is much more bulky than a normal mask, if you travel you want to take as less baggage as possible. An ordinary mask will do a better job.
- Snorkling and Diving beginners who have no experience with the sport are not used to the normal handling with diving masks when it comes to water inside the mask and problems underwater. With the fullface Snorkelingmask they just start right of to the water without getting used to the diving as normally when you start with a normal mask. This can cause panic and panicattacks which are much more dangerous in the water.
I have done a Video Full face Snorkel Mask Review on Youtube to help out everyone that has the questions, if these masks are suitable for diving (No).